Saturday, October 9, 2010

Waterfront Music

Down on the waterfront
I follow the paved path
My eyes finding
Silhouettes of moored boats
Masts reaching to the stars

I listen to the water
Licking the rocks below
Otters race with fish under whiskers
Barking to little ones
Who follow

My steps take me
Down the pearl necklace
Of haloed lamps
Refreshing me with color
Then releasing me to darkness again

Mist gently rolling over the bay
Brings his music
Over the distance
I feel as though I am being led
By the pied piper

Instead of him leading me
Into darkness
I close the distance and
He beckons light
Promising with the notes of his guitar

Such sadness in the words
Floating upon his husky voice
My heart goes out to him
I know that there is a secret story
Beneath his skin

Like all of us trying to make
Our way on this journey
There have been trips and falls
It is within what he doesn’t say
I toss him all my coins and am on my way

I pass the store fronts
Continuing past those indulging
In coffee or ice cream
They walk side by side and hand in hand
I sigh…the music man’s song still echoing in my heart…

No comments:

Post a Comment