Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mississippi Moments

Inspired by the Black and White photo of "Candy Cigarette" by Sally Mann

She stood there
breathing blued tobacco
into the late summer air
in great gusts of thirteen cool

Lanky limbs betraying
Mississippi moments,
            stilts                
                        and splash play

Blonde streaks
defying gravity

It’s those eyes
those eyes
that pierce through any
semblance of innocence

We are strangers joined at the hip
yet I can’t shake the guilt I feel
for the life she is headed for                        
or the life we all bleed

7 comments:

  1. smiles...love your description...the alliteration through there....and the kinda wild hair and eyes...i can see her...what a sobering close...the life we all bleed...

    good to see you! its been far too long...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brian... I agree far too long! I hope to be at the pub soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kitty! Quite an honor coming from you!

      Delete
  3. A poetic portrait of the rebellion of adolescence. I took a look at the original photo and the eyes were what got my attention. Great to read you again, Tracie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katley... I have to get over your way soon, I have been blocked for a bit, but I hope this will end the word stike! :) I wanted to put the photo up of hers but wasn't sure on the copyrights. So I left it up to the reader to research the photo. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete