Saturday, May 3, 2014

Grocery Superhero


Today was a crazy day.  Shopping at the zoo known as Costco, then over to the Superstore for groceries today.  I am not a crowd person to begin with, but today took the cake there were people everywhere!  I was ecstatic when I was finished my long list and could get my son, mum and heaping buggy to the checkout line, even if they were 6 people deep.  Until that is, when twenty minutes later I got right behind the guy who was next to be rung in. 

It wasn’t that he was odd or rude… actually he was quite funny.  It was when I heard him saying: “What?! You want me to what?!”  To the cashier, then he turned to all of us behind him with a concerned face, and turned back to her and said, “I’m not going to tell them that.  I am not going to do your job for you.  How can you do that to them?  They have already been waiting in line, you can’t tell them you are going to close down.”  This is when things began to unravel and I began to talk to the man with the blue cape and red tights before me. 

“What is she saying?” I asked him, while I watched the cashier turn off her light and set her jaw.

“She wants all of you to find other tills.” He told me and the rest of the growing growling faces behind us.  “And she wants me to tell you but I refused.  I think you should refuse to find other tills too.”  And thus the caped wonder led the protest, in knee high lace up sneakers.

“I will not move to another till I said blatantly, we have been here so long!” I told him firmly.

“How can they do this we have other things to do today.”  My mother chipped in.

“I will not budge!” Another lady behind her. 

“Just a minute, I know what to do.”  And so I found the supervisor and pleaded our case.  She promised to send another cashier to help out. 

When I got back to the line, Mr. Red Satin Underoo’s says to me “When you were gone the cashier asked me ‘What part of closed doesn’t she understand?’”

I was shocked; I had never been treated so rudely by a cashier before.  “This cashier said that to you about me?”

“Yes!” 

I was just about to lose it when he did it for me and in such a humorous way that all of us behind him were in fits of belly laughter.  The cashier was put firmly in her place, but in a way that was not brutal. 

Then he turned to me and says “That was fun!”

Thanks to my Grocery Superhero we didn’t have to wait all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment